The Australia Scholarship is at your door step, it will interest you to know that Australia has set itself the goal of reducing poverty and achieving sustainable development in Africa.
To this end, it offers free scholarships to African international executives and students through its “Australia Awards” program.
Types of Australia Scholarships
There are two (2) types of scholarship offered by the Australian government:
1. Professional development scholarships (short-term programs)
2. Masters study grants (long-term program)
The short-term scholarship is for all eligible countries and is for up to three (3) months of training (maximum)
For cons, the stock market long-term studies (Master Award) concerns only the English-speaking countries and some Francophone countries.
The Australian Government Long Terms Scholarship is for up to two (2) years of training.
These scholarships are offered by the Australian government to African students and executives to enable them to acquire new skills and knowledge which will serve the development of the continent.
Conditions of admission for the Australia Scholarship
To be admitted to the Australian Government Scholarship Program, you must meet the following admission requirements :
- Hold a diploma of at least Bac +4 level (Bachelor / License / Master / Master)
- Be from an African country eligible for the Australian scholarship program.
- Reside and work in your country of origin or work for the government of your country of origin in a third country (Example 1: You are Cameroonian but you work at the Embassy of Cameroon in Côte d’Ivoire or at the Embassy from Cameroon to Senegal Example 2: You are Togolese but you work in a Togolese company in Benin or a Togolese company in Belgium.)
- Have a good level of English because the lessons are only in English
- Have work experience in a field relevant to those applying for the Professional Development Fellowship (Short Term) program.
- Have good physical and moral health
- Provide a study project in which you clearly demonstrate how you intend to use the skills and knowledge acquired through the Australian Scholarship to improve and contribute to the development of your home country.
NB: It is mandatory for applicants for the Australian Government Scholarship to submit a certificate that justifies their proficiency in English. Eligible certificates are TOEFL and IELTS.
Application Date for the Australia Scholarship
The nominations for Australian studies of the scholarship are generally open from the first week of October each year.
The application deadline differs depending on the scholarship program chosen.
The deadline for applying for the (long-term) Master’s scholarship program is set at the beginning of December of each year.
The deadline for the scholarship for professional development studies (short-term) is set at mid-January each year.
Read also: Korea Government Undergraduate Scholarship
Eligible Countries for the Australia Scholarship
Professional Development Scholarship (Short Term)
21 countries are eligible for the Australian Government Short Term Scholarship Program.
These are the:
Côte d’Ivoire, Senegal, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Mauritius, Nigeria, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Botswana, Madagascar, Namibia
Master’s scholarship (Long-term)
For the Master’s scholarship program, only eleven (11) countries are eligible. This is the:
Nigeria, Ghana, Zambia, Tanzania, South Africa, Mozambique, Mauritius, Malawi, Madagascar, Kenya, Botswana
Scholarship Application Process
To apply for any of Australia scholarship programs you need to click on the following link :
NB: It is possible, with the Covid-19 global health crisis that applications for the scholarship will not be open this year.
For the moment the government has not yet announced the opening of candidatures.
However, I would advise, those who are interested in the Australian Government Scholarship and qualify for application, to start preparing their application packages to be ready when applications open.
Read also: South Korean Scholarship
Have questions and concerns regarding the Australian Government Scholarship?
Please leave them in the comments below and we will be happy to provide answers.
Please feel free to visit the official Australian Government website where you will find all kinds of useful information to help you better submit your application: official platform of the Australian Government Scholarship Program.